I haven’t done a 5FF in a while, let alone one of my own Top 5 lists, so I figured this was a great topic to jump on the bandwagon again. There are so many great songs that coincide with movies that I had a hard time narrowing down my list to just 5. I mean, ya got the your classics like the theme for “Footloose”, the fun ones like “Twist and Shout” from Ferris Bueller’s Day Off and the ones that you just have to belt out along with like “Kiss From a Rose” from Batman Forever. And don’t even get me started on “My Heart Will Go On.” I will never let go, Jack.
These 5 songs are songs that whenever I hear them, my mind automatically plays out the movie scene and makes me shout at whoever I’m with, “This song was in *insert movie here*!” So without any further ado, here we go!
1. “(Your Love Keeps Lifting Me) Higher and Higher – Ghostbusters 2: It’s actually impossible for me to listen to this song and not think about the Ghostbusters crew dousing the Statue of Liberty in pink slime and walking her through NYC in order to rally some positive mojo to beat Viggo, the creepy 17th century tyrant magician whose stuck inside a painting trying to escape. Or a dancing toaster. Also, you can’t listen to this song and not yell, “She’s tough. She’s a harbor chick!” like Venkman. It’s just a given.
2. “Jump in the Line (Shake Senora) – Beetlejuice: Ok, first off, I’ve always thought this song was called “Shake, Shake, Shake Senora” but apparently I was way off. Secondly, can anyone hear this song and not wish they were levitating in mid air like Winona Ryder? Didn't think so.
3. “Higher Ground” – Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers: No other song reminds me of a movie more than this one. The second it comes on, I just have visions of all the Rangers skydiving perfectly and Bulk and Skull landing in a construction zone. I love it so much that if the movie happens to be on TV and I’ve missed it, I have to YouTube it before I can actually enjoy the rest of the film. (It also hurts my heart that this is the only video I could find of it and it's not even the whole thing. Womp womp.)
4. “The Power of Love” – Back to the Future: What do you get when you add Huey Lewis and The News and a skateboarding Michael J. Fox? Utter perfection, that’s what.
5. "You Don't Own Me" -- First Wives Club: Mark my words-- if I stumble across a deserted street (preferably in the City, but I'll take anywhere really) you better believe I will be singing and dancing my way down it a la Bette, Goldie and Diane. Work. It. Ladies.
Does anyone have any songs that remind them of tv/movies? Lemme know!