So, sticking to the Halloween vibe, I decided to dedicate this Top 5 to scary moments from movies. And not just any movies—kids movies. Normally, kids movies are light-hearted and fun, but every so often you get one that just straight up traumatizes you. Here are some moments that scared the bajeezus outta me when I was younger:
1. The Tunnel Scene- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory: Who didn’t get freaked out by this scene, that’s what I wanna know. The background whizzing by, the flashes of light, Gene Wilder’s voice growing more and more manic as he deadpans “There’s no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going.” It’s like, “Hey kids, hope you’re enjoying my lovely chocolate factory where everything is edible and fun, now let’s take a ride on this boat of nightmares that’ll make you feel like you’re having a bad acid trip!” Keep your Golden Ticket, I don’t want it.
2. The Dip- Who Framed Roger Rabbit?: You would think an entire movie based around cartoon characters would be super family friendly, but lemme tell you, that ain’t the case. I never thought that I would get so upset over the death of a cartoon shoe, but I did and still do. Poor little guy. And Christopher Lloyd is terrifying as Judge Doom, I was so glad when he and his little gangster weasel squad got their comeuppance.
3. Artax’s Death- The NeverEnding Story: If an animal dies in ANY movie, I’m gonna be heartbroken, but this one hits harder than most because of the way Artax dies. His handler, Atreyu’s, quest took them through the Swamps of Sadness, and while they’re trudging through the muck, Artax ends up succumbing to the swamp. So basically, the horse got way too sad and then got sucked into the swamp forever. No, I’m not crying, I just have something in my eye.
4. Large Marge- Pee-wee’s Big Adventure: If you’re a parent and you want to teach your kids the dangers of hitchhiking, just show them this scene. They’ll be convinced that every strange person in a car will tell them a creepy story and then turn into a shriveled head with large bulbous eyes.
5. Skeksis- The Dark Crystal: Usually, when you think of Jim Henson, you think of cuddly, cute Muppets like Fozzy Bear or Beaker, but what The Dark Crystal gives you is nightmare fuel. The Skeksis are a race of shuffling, heavy robe clad, bony bird lookin’ things. Seriously, they look like a cross between a baby bird and a snapping turtle. I was actually a bit older when I first saw this movie and if the Skeksis could creep me out when I was in my teens, just imagine what it could do to children.
Are there any scenes from films that creep you out? Lemme know!
Great picks! The Neverending Story scene could break a kid's soul, if they don't understand what it means until they grow up. Even as an adult, it's still super surprising scene in a kid's movie. The boat ride in Willy Wonka is absolutely dizzying.ReplyDelete